1. A great pair of skinny jeans in a dark wash: Great jeans are a wardrobe staple and different cuts and washes take you different places. The most versatile is dark & skinny. Cuffed ’em up on the weekends and wear with flats for running errands on Saturday afternoon, change to heels and they work perfectly for a Saturday night date. Tuck them into boots and add a boyfriend cardigan and they look fresh and professional enough for a dress down day at the office.
2. A little black dress (of course!): This is the “go-to” piece in every woman’s closet. Does it have to be black? No!
Any solid dark color that works with your skin tone, hair color and other pieces in your closet will work – think charcoal, navy, taupe. This closet work horse can be pressed into service for many functions and situations. A sleeveless style may seem too seasonal or cocktail, but add a thin turtleneck and you have a great shift dress for daytime. Wear it with sparkly jewelry and strappy heels and it’s the perfect party dress. Layer a structured jacket on top, add pumps and you’re ready to hit the boardroom.
3. Flat riding boots: Flat boots will take you from fall to spring in style. Worked back with the afore mentioned skinny jeans and you’re ready for a weekend getaway with miles of walking from shop to shop and museum to museum. Look pull together and professional with tights and a dress for the office, or pull them on with leggings for a slightly upscale, but still downtown look.
4. Leggings: The dress code friendly member of the skinny jeans family. Worn in all the styles and situations mentioned in #1, but feel free to put them on mid-week for a work look that doesn’t have to wait for casual Friday. Caution: make sure your leggings are opaque (Lysse makes a great choice!) and paired with a tunic long enough to graze the top of your thighs. It doesn’t matter how great a shape you’re in, leggings and a top that doesn’t cover your assets is not a professional look.
5. A cardigan in a neutral hue that’s flattering to your coloring. The classic cardy can work over a plain white tee and jeans for a weekend look but can also be layered over a crisp white blouse and worn with a skinny belt, pencil skirt or trousers to look office chic. Throw on unbuttoned over a cocktail dress as the perfect topper to keep the chill away in an air conditioned ballroom, or to get you from the car to the center of the party without having to leave an expensive coat at the coat check or in a pile in someone’s bedroom.